½ Kneeling Cable / Band Row
What to look for:
- Half kneeling split stance
- Front knee at 90 degrees
- Back knee at 90 degrees, in line with the hip and shoulder
- Grip with the same hand as back leg
- Neutral spine
- Pronated to neutral grip
- Allow shoulder blades to open up (protract) at the start
- Keep ribcage down
- Initiate with retraction and depression of shoulder blades
- Traps relaxed
- Elbow shouldn’t be pulled past midline
- Shoulder not pulled into anterior tilt
- Tall posture
- “Don’t let the back arch/extend”
- “Stay tall”
- “Chest up”
- “Squeeze the shoulder blades”
- Regress: If client cannot maintain a correct 90/90 position throughout the set consider breaking down the reps or taking back to a seated position.
- Progress: If client is comfortable with this movement they may be progressed into standing and dumbbell variations.
- Can be used both unilaterally/bilaterally.
- If client struggles to ‘feel’ the back muscles working, consider adding pauses for 1-2 seconds in the contracted position.