Walking Lunge + Progressions
What to look for:
- Train track stance (both feet facing forwards)
- Hip width stance
- Front foot heel stays on the floor during the rep
- Eyes looking forward
- Controlled movement
- Tall posture – matching torso and front shin angle
- Back knee close to the floor but should not touch
- Shoulders retracted
- Stable hips
- Keep knee > toe in alignment
- Extend hip and knee to drive up to start position
- “Push through the heel of the front foot”
- “Chest up, stay tall”
- “Long stride”
- “Keep shoulder blades squeezed”
- Regress: If client cannot maintain a solid trunk position you may need to lighten the load or regress to another single leg variation.
- Progress: Once client can perform the movement in control for multiple sets, the coach may decide to progress the client on to a more advanced variation.
- Due to the dynamic nature of this variation compared with other single leg variations, the coach should be sure that the client has the required stability to perform the movement correctly.